Kiteboarding in Outer Banks – Get Ready to Take Flight!
Kiteboarding is a thrilling and exhilarating sport that has been growing in popularity in Outer Banks. With its unique combination of open-sea air, strong winds, and idyllic coastline, Outer Banks is one of the top destinations for kiteboarding enthusiasts. It is a perfect way to enjoy the outdoors and experience the power of nature with adrenaline-pumping speed. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced kiteboarder, Outer Banks has plenty of options for you to explore.
Best Places To Kiteboard in Outer Banks
One of the best places to kiteboard in Outer Banks is the Currituck Sound. With its expansive waters and minimal boat traffic, it offers a peaceful setting for riders of all skill levels. Cape Hatteras National Seashore is another great spot for kiting as it has some of the best wind conditions on the East Coast. The Wright Brothers Memorial Park is also a great spot as it offers more open space, strong winds, and a local history lesson if you want one.
Where To Get Lessons
If you are new to the sport, there are plenty of kiteboarding schools in the Outer Banks that offer lessons for all skill levels. Some of these include Kitty Hawk Kites, OBX Kiting, and Sky High Kiteboarding. These schools provide professional instruction, quality gear, and a safe environment for learning how to kiteboard.
Local Outer Banks Kiteboarding Tournaments
The Outer Banks is home to many exciting kiteboarding tournaments throughout the year. The OBX Kiting Festival takes place in May and features competitions as well as free lessons and demonstrations. The Dune Kiting Classic takes place in June and features competitions for experienced riders. The Wild Pony Kiteboarding Competition is held annually in August and involves a series of races, trick-based challenges, and long distance kiting events. These tournaments are great ways to watch some of the best kiteboarding in the world and to get inspired by top athletes.
Tips on Safety and Etiquette when Participating in Outer Banks Kiteboarding Activities
Kiteboarding is an exciting and rewarding activity, however it can be dangerous if you don’t follow the rules of safety and etiquette. Before getting out on the water, it’s important to review safety standards as well as local regulations. Here are some tips to keep in mind when participating in kiteboarding activities:
• Wear the proper safety gear. This includes a helmet, impact vest, and wetsuit if necessary.
• Always check local OBX weather conditions before heading out on the water. Pay attention to wind speed and direction as they can change quickly.
• Be aware of other water users. Pay attention to boat traffic and respect the other users of the water.
• Don’t practice stunts around others or in shallow waters. Respect other kiteboarders by keeping your distance when they are performing tricks or riding in shallow areas.
• Know your limits and don’t take unnecessary risks.
• Be respectful of the environment. Stay away from fragile shorelines, sea grass beds, and other areas that are vulnerable to damage.
Following these safety tips will help ensure that all participants in Outer Banks kiteboarding activities stay safe!
Ready for Some “Hangtime” on a Kiteboard?
If this all sounds like fun on your next vacation to the Outer Banks, then start planning now. Also, feel free to browse our selection of vacation rentals, many of them are in proximity to all the kiteboarding hotspots.